Did You Know?
42% of teens report that they are stressed, but don’t feel that they have the tools to manage their stress effectively (American Psychological Association). To find out more about helping your teen cope contact me now.
Benefits of The Group Experience
Unlike individual therapy, a group experience gives teens the opportunity to share their experiences, give advice, receive support and feel a sense of community and belonging under the supervision and direction of a licensed professional.
How can group therapy help your teen?
Groups are really valuable for teens because they are at a developmental stage where connecting with each other is a priority and it provides a powerful place to learn and practice new skills in a safe environment in order to catalyze change.
Our teen groups are for middle school or high school students who:
- Experience anxiety, depression and isolation
- Are unnecessarily hard on themselves or limit themselves due to fear of failure
- Report an absence of deep connections with their peers
- Tend to express negative, rigid or perfectionistic thinking towards themselves or others
- Need an active support system of peers that understand their struggles
So they can:
- Cope with difficult feelings in a healthy way
- Feel comfortable taking appropriate risks and recognize that “readjusting” does not mean “failure”
- Create and maintain healthy relationships
- Begin to challenge irrational thoughts and shift inflexible thinking
- Connect with other kids who understand the challenges and frustrations of being a teen today
- Improve their self-esteem
Although group is not a replacement for individual therapy, it can be a great supplement. We are happy to coordinate care with your teen’s individual therapist to support their growth.
Group can also be an effective first step or step down in care when your teen needs less support but still would benefit from learning and practicing coping skills and sharing current struggles in a safe environment.